Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Creating a Budget: I don't need to and other lazy thoughts.

I'm going to start with an excerpt from America's Cheapest Family. This is for the people that keep insisting they don't need to make a budget, or can't make a budget, or just think it's too frustrating. I call these lazy thoughts. You can do it, you just don't want to because it will make you realize how much money your throwing away. Personally I think being in debt is frustrating, but hey you can lead a horse to water....

""Myth 1: "We just don't make enough money to budget!"
   We Say: Even the little you have can be stretched so much further than you ever thought""

This is true. We live on one income for what is now a family of three and we have a mortgage AND we are making an additonal principal payment each month.

""Myth 2: "Our income is so erratic that budgeting is impossible!"
     We Say: Budgeting is the perfect tool to smooth out the peaks and valleys of your income.""

If you own a business this probably describes you. It's a little tougher but is still possible to function on a budget. The way I see it you can't afford not to create a budget, especially if its your sole form of income.

"" Myth 3: "I don't need to write it down, I've got it all in my head."
    We Say: A written plan takes spending out of the ethereal ("well I think i can afford this.) and puts it down right there in front of your eyes in  black and white ("I know I've got the money saved for this"). Numbers don't lie.""

I couldn't have said it better myself, in fact I didn't even try. lol

""Myth 4: "Oh, we gave budgeting a try. It was too restrictive and just didn't work for us."
We Say: Rather than being restrictive, a written and regularly maintained budget will provide you with financial relief, security, and freedom.""

This is so true. At first my budget was very restrictive because I was paying off student loans and credit card debt, but once I paid it off it gave me breathing room to budget for other things.So just hang in there, luxeries aren't necessary, but being debt free is.



No comments:

Post a Comment